Friday, April 23, 2010

How-to: 3g modem to Asus Eee PC T91

Much better now...

I got the PCI-E connector from this Ebay seller.. Those SIM holders should be easily available from electronics stores too..

Related News:

38 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi JKK

As usual you're the man.
Thanks for another well done hack.
I'll may give it a try also...

Anonymous said...

Is that an HSPA+ 3G modem? I've been eyeing the Sierra Wireless MC8700 lately (supports HSPA+ and UMTS900) but I haven't heard of the MC8755 though.

Anonymous said...

Will this mod work with T91 MT as well?

Anonymous said...

I hate that the manufacturer saves themselves a few pennies and make all of this extra work necessary. It's shameful really.

Anonymous said...

I did just the same thing on my T91MT two days ago, but I'm having problems positioning the antennae. Anyone disassembled the screen bezel on T91 or T91MT? I'm having trouble with the lower part. It seems that there are hidden screws holding it from the back, below the alluminium "Eee PC Touch Series" sticker. Any hint?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
trihy said...

Great work! It can be switched on/off by software?

trihy said...

BTW, will this sim holder works? http://cgi.ebay.com/DIY-Sim-Slot-Adapter-Acer-Aspire-One-Asus-EEEPC-901-/220482942357?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3355ceb595

JKK said...

Trihy, yes.

Nope, that SIM holder is no good. it needs to have 3 + 3 pins.. not in row like on that.

trihy said...

Thanks, jkk! Ill try to find a seller on ebay that have both things (holder and pci-e socket)

Do you recommend mc8775 for anything special? Or another card will work good too?

trihy said...

So... a blackberry sim holder will work, right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sim-Card-Holder-BlackBerry-Curve-8300-8310-8320-/350345458727?cmd=ViewItem&pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item5192377427

JKK said...

yep Trihy, that BB SIM holder should work fine.

trihy said...

Thanks jkk!

I´d checked on both t91 and t91mt. And t91mt is missing the big square chip at the bottom right from the sim slot. Do you know that is this chip for?

To be exactly... this one: http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/3819/t913g2.jpg

JKK said...

If i remember right, it is the SATA controller.. so no need to worry about it..

trihy said...

Thanks again JKK. I see an sierra wireless 3G and gps on one module... http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Sierra-Wireless-MC8781-PCI-Express-Mini-Card-3G-GPS-/230461163248?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item35a88e46f0

Maybe Ill try this one instead of mc8775

Jack said...

You like the T91 more so than your Viliv S10? I am looking at a netvertible and was leaning towards the 2GHz Viliv... just wanted you thoughts on what you think is the best out there

trihy said...

I think that from a mobility point of view, t91 is unbeatable ATM.

Finally Im looking for MC8785V, seems like a good card.

Anonymous said...

Is your next T91 mod a bigger battery? That's what I would be planning if I had one of these.

daniel said...

This is a pci-e connector for any pci-e device, correct? if so, could this be used for the Crystal HD Broadcom upgrade?

I really feel the video is laggy in Win7 on my T91... I did the runcore upgrade, Class10 SDHC 16gb still seems a bit slow here and there.. zero running in background beyond windows.

trihy said...

If I understand correctly, we are using "just" the usb part of the mini pci connector.

Not sure if they can lock the usb part to only accept some cards.

Don´t know if the broadcom hd use only the usb part of the socket..

JKK should know :)

Anonymous said...

very cool!

dan said...

Come on Jkk... I'm dyin' for the answer.. Could I do the broadcom upgrade with just a pci-e solder?

trihy said...

JKK, when you have some time, please post more pictures, at least one indicating the correct bridges we have to do, Im not really sure if they include one or more points.

I know, the video is very clear, but a lot of people here dont understand english... including me :D

thanks

trihy said...

Well... almost done here :D Still have to find if the white cable bridges two points on the motherboard or its just connected to only one. The picture is not so clear in that part.

Thanks again!

trihy said...

JKK... are you there? :D I want to close my T91!

JKK said...

Trihy, white cable can bridge the 2 points but it is not needed as they are connected on mobo anyway.

trihy said...

Thanks JKK. I´ll make some pictures and post a tutorial on eeepc forum, giving credits to you, obviously :)

Still having some problems with the 3g antenna. Underneath a speaker is one possible solution.

Anyway... Ill test and report back.

There are other mysterious labels on this board like "FM radio", but is missing all components.

Carrie D said...

jjk, 5 wks w/T91mt, Very happy.only setting tweeks so far, runs quick. to resolve what some say is poor calibration, was fixed by this..>Control Panel>Pen and Touch Settings>Touch Tab>bottom of window shows check box for"show touch cursor" Advanced sets up this HORRIFIC TOUCH OPTION-bad/fail...makes calibration seem off Correctly disabling this and RECALIBRATION of all settings has given me excellent touch & pen response since. Repost to most likely place to be of assistance

trihy said...

Well, I got almost everyrhing working. But... I have a problem... sometimes I hear the usb sound like unplugging something, and 3g watcher says "no card found"

That could be because of the 3.3v point... maybe is not giving enough power.

And the other thing.. could be the mini pci slot. All solders are tested over and over again, but the socket itself looks too cheap, maybe is not making good contact.

Ill try to find another 3.3v point to discard this. Do you know of a good 3.3 source?

trihy said...

Nevermind... the mini pci slot is cheap as hell. Im lifting the pins to make better contact with the modem.

Everything is working fine, great mod.

On a side note, the blackberry sim holder is a little short. If anyone is looking for this, I recommend a nokia sim holder, they are larger and fit better on t91.

Anonymous said...

How to put into Samsung N220?

Doese it need to jump the power supply at some point?
Where is that point?

Please guide on how to put 3G to n220... please ..please

Unknown said...

Hi @ all,
Do I need the T91MT the connection with the red and white cables?

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/3819/t913g2.jpg

thx...

Unknown said...

:-(

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately I lifted the pads off the board when I soldered the usb jumpers which go to pin 38. Would you know another spot on the board where I can pickup this point?

Anonymous said...

It looks like the USB fuse pads which lifted off were routed to an internal trace. If someone could point me to another spot for this net then I could jumper from that point instead of the non-existant fuse pads. So close but not looking too promising at this point.

Unknown said...

I did it:

http://www.eeepc.de/thema-10217-T91MT_UMTS_nachruesten.html

Anonymous said...

Need help. Not sure were to solder white wire next to PCI-E connector.
There are four soldering points there, and looks like wire is soldered over two of them, or just one of them ???

Anonymous said...

Hello JKK !!
I have tried to install novatel EU 850D on my acer aspire 722 but my laptop is not detecting the device at all. Can you give me some idea how I can make it to work?

Post a Comment